Disseminating good practice and promote models of excellence in ESP
Welcome to the IATEFL ESPSIG’s homepage! We are delighted that you are here.
The English for Specific Purposes Special Interest Group (ESPSIG) is one of IATEFL’s 16 SIGs. We are a niche body representing professionals and practitioners in English for Specific Purposes (ESP), English for Academic Purposes (EAP) and English for Occupational / Professional Purposes (EOP/EPP). We have over 250 members working in the field of ESP who join us from all over the world and regularly attend our workshops, seminars, conferences and webinars. We also publish a bi-annual peer-reviewed journal, Professional and Academic English, and our members also contribute to leading ELT journals and periodicals.
The mission of our SIG is to disseminate good practice in ESP (as well as EAP and EOP/EPP) through our membership, and to promote models of excellence in ESP to ELT professionals in the UK and abroad. Our coverage of ESP includes not only the teaching of this area of ELT, but also teacher training and materials design. Our main objectives, therefore, are to:
- promote globalisation in ESP and EAP
- organise a system of support for fellow ESP/EAP practitioners
- support individual or organisational ESP projects which may not prove feasible without our recommendation
- link and unite ESP/EAP professionals in different educational sectors
- give sufficient prominence to distinct sub-areas of ESP and EAP
- collaborate with other Special Interest Groups (SIGs) in IATEFL for better synergies
- organise joint events with organisations of a similar interest or profile.
By joining IATEFL and our Special Interest Group we hope that you will become an active member of the SIG by:
- Writing articles for our journal, Professional and Academic English
- Attending and presenting at our Pre-Conference Events, SIG Showcase Days and ESP tracks at the annual IATEFL conference
- Joining in conversations on social media (on our Facebook page and on Twitter)
- Suggesting and helping to organise an ESPSIG event in your local area
- Helping to recruit new ESPSIG members
Benefits of becoming an ESPSIG member include:
- Receiving our journal, Professional and Academic English, two times a year in addition to the IATEFL newsletter Voices six times a year
- Opportunity to have your article(s) published in our journal and conference proceedings
- Membership of a strong global network of ESP professionals
In the last few years, we have worked with publishers closely to publish books (three so far with Garnet Education) in the field of ESP. This collaboration has helped to promote ESP more globally through publications.
We invite you to visit and ‘like’ our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/IateflEspSig. We use this page as a platform for announcing events, encouraging ESP/EAP-related discussion and to promote collaboration between ourselves and the other IATEFL SIGs.